Aimed at individuals originating from the biomedical sciences, but lacking a bioanalytical background, this course aims to consider both the theoretical principles and practical aspects of the chromatographic separation of proteins and peptides.
Entry requirements Candidates will normally be expected to possess one of the following qualifications before entry: * An Honours degree (at least a 2.2, or its equivalent) in a relevant biological subject from a UK (or equivalent) University * A professional qualification of equivalent status * Any other such qualification and experience deemed equivalent in subject content and level of attainment by the Admissions Panel In addition a good command of English is essential to enable successful completion of the programmes. * The minimum requirement is the British Council IELTS grade 6.5 or its equivalent
Short Course Programme Chromatographic Methods of Protein Purification (CPD)
What do you study?
* Principles of chromatography. Chromatographic performance parameters (capacity, plate height and resolution)
* Selection of the appropriate phases for the separation of peptides and proteins
* Sample and solvent/buffer preparation (solid phase extraction etc.)
* Protein purification strategy
* The use of reversed phase, ion exchange, size exclusion, hydrophobic interaction, affinity and mixed mode chromatography to separate proteins and peptides
* The use of immobilised metal ion affinity chromatography to separate post-translationally modified proteins and peptides
* An introduction to the apparatus used including HPLC and protein purification apparatus
* Data analysis
Assessment will comprise completion of a written assignment (60%) and a computer-based test on peptides, proteins and separation techniques (40%)
Why study at Nottingham Trent University?
Expert tuition by researchers, consultants and professionals.
Four month access to NTU student resources.
Your future career
* This course offers a great opportunity for personal development and career progression.
* Masters level training in selected advanced topics within the molecular biosciences
* The learning skills required to apply the techniques acquired to your workplace and/or future careers