Speak directly and without obligation to
University of London - School of Oriental and African Studies
Your request has been sent correctly
Would you like to receive information about these related courses?
Just one more thing ...
Some institutions ask us for this data. Please, fill them in
Certificate in Armenian Studies - At the institution - London - Greater London
The aim of this certificate is to provide undergraduate level students with a basic knowledge of Armenian history, literature and culture as well as an introduction to the West Armenian language. Students will have the opportunity to study Armenia in the context of the neighbouring cultures that have shaped its history. To this effect the programme offers a choice of options covering the history and culture of Eastern Christianity, Russia, Iran, the Ottoman Empire and the Arab world.
This programme is for students with no previous knowledge of Armenian studies but with a keen interest in the area and its culture and language.
Venue: Russell Square: College Buildings
Minimum Entry Requirements: The minimum entry requirement is the ability to demonstrate the potential to study at undergraduate level. However, programmes may have their own specific requirements, such as, in the case of language-based studies, a proven ability to learn a language.
Start of programme: September 2009
1 year full time or 2 years part time.
Mode of Attendance: Full Time or Part Time
The programme consists of the following course units
* Elementary Western Armenian (155901347) (one unit)
* Introduction to Armenian History (155901348) (one unit)
* Introduction to Armenian Literature in translation (155901349) (half unit)
* Introduction to Armenian Culture (155901350) (half unit)
One further unit to be chosen from an approved list of courses
* Eastern Christianity(158000132) (half unit)
* Orthodox Christianity (158000131) (half unit)
* Martyrs and monks in eastern Christian writings (158000130) (one unit)
* Syriac for beginners (with the consent of the certificate convenor) (158000034) (one unit)
* Zoroastrianism in the ancient and modern worlds (158000029) (one unit)
* The Middle East in the Period of the Crusades, 1050-1291 (154800254) (one unit)
* Cities of paradise and empire: Ottoman, Saravid and Mughal polities 1453-1797 (154800211) (one unit)
* Turks, Mongols and Mamluks, 1054-1500 (154800222) (one unit)
* Aspects of Turkish culture (155900616) (one unit)
* Introduction to Arabic culture (155901205) (one unit)
* The making of the Modern Middle East (154800227) (one unit)
* Minority religions in the contemporary Near East (158000163) (half unit)
* Literatures of the Near and Middle East (155900991) (one unit)
Not all the optional courses listed above will run every year. Please contact the relevant faculty office for information.
Part-time students may take the certificate over a two year period by registering for the equivalent of two full course units in each year. Students with a prior knowledge of Western Armenian may replace the language unit with a further unit chosen from the list of options.