This study of software development tools and techniques for building modern distributed computer systems covers programming techniques, object-oriented software technologies and architectures.
Students can choose courses from a range including distributed data management, concepts and strategies for building internet-enabled e-commerce and internet security, web application development/technologies, data warehousing and data mining as well as networking technologies.
Many important tasks facing industry, finance and commerce at the moment involve the development of new distributed and internet-enabled systems, the integration of legacy systems into intranets or extranets, and internet publishing. There is a pressing need for people with knowledge and skills in designing, building and maintaining such systems. These skills should be accompanied by an appreciation of the business context and market forces behind the new technologies.
Problem solving, professional ethics and practices, as well as transferable skills, permeate and underpin this programme of study and its constituent courses.
* Project and Dissertation – including a course in Research Methods
* Software Tools and Techniques
* Software Engineering Management
* Enterprise Software Engineering Development
* Web Engineering
* Enterprise Web Engineering *
* Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing
* Distributed Data Management Technology
* E-Business Applications
* Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery in Databases *
* Distributed Data Architecture Management
* Network Management *
* Network Technologies and Design
* Network Security
* Computer Security and Risk Management
* Operating System and Application Server Technology
* Mobile Application Development *
* Negotiable option; pre-requisite knowledge required.