One year (MSc), 9 months (Diploma)
This Masters course will provide a practical and theoretical grounding in Forensic Materials.
The course will develop problem-solving analytical skills and its graduates will find career opportunities in the chemical and other manufacturing industries as well as in the police and Home Office forensic labs. Graduates of the course will have knowledge of and skills in applied analytical chemistry, an area identified by recent industry-driven reports as constituting a skills shortage in the UK.
The course will provide both a practical and a theoretical education in Forensic Materials, building upon a graduate-level education in science or engineering and providing specialist training or refocusing or previous knowledge.
The broad aim of the course is to produce highly skilled, motivated and capable graduates ideally equipped for careers in the forensic or analytical science sector. Students of the course will:
* Develop detailed knowledge of and skills in materials chemistry, forensic science, forensic engineering, forensic aspects of molecular biology and image processing, and an understanding and appreciation of instrumental techniques relevant to forensic and analytical applications.
* Critically review existing practice and develop original and creative solutions to problems within the sector.
* Communicate and work effectively with peers and academic staff in a variety of tasks, demonstrating appropriate levels of autonomy and responsibility.
* Plan and execute a significant piece of research, investigation or development in a specialist area, demonstrating extensive, detailed and critical understanding of that focus.
* Forensic Science 1
* Properties of Materials
* Forensic Instrumental Techniques
* Foundation Biology
* Forensic Science 2
* Forensic Engineering
* Advanced Physical Instrumental Techniques
* Critical Analysis and Research Preparation
* Masters Research Project