This innovative course is specially designed for sectors where professionals are seeking to successfully develop and enhance their careers by acquiring technical competence in the handling of GI, such as the GIS software industry, research, location-based service delivery, transport, environmental management and government.
Delivered by internationally renowned researchers in the giCentre, the course provides you with an in-depth knowledge of GI systems, technologies and software, and enables you to effectively use modern technology and developments in communication in the workplace. The course is also excellent preparation for doctoral (PhD) study.
You will have access to cutting-edge resources and research to support your study. All registered students receive a free GPS receiver and software; a copy of the course textbook 'Geographic Information Systems and Science'; a copy of a GIS to use on their own computer; free Microsoft software (office, mapping and development tools); Ordnance Survey digital mapping data and access to the ESRI virtual campus.
You also have the opportunity to participate in varied practical activities in order to develop GI-related skills.
You will gain:
* a deep knowledge of GI System technologies and software, and the ability to use them effectively and assess them critically
* skills in summarising coherently complex technical information about GI Systems and communicate it to others in a structured and professional manner
* skills in using modern technology and developments in communication to effectively handle geographic information within a workplace environment to the benefit o
Why study this course at City University London?
* Distance learning and pedagogic innovation. The City giCentre teaching staff have an international reputation and publication record. Staff have received a number of awards for teaching and innovative online learning support, the most recent being a prestigious National Teaching Fellowship (2005) awarded to Dr Jason Dykes.
* The course is based in a top-rated (RAE 5) research department that feeds directly into teaching. As well as an extensive research publication record, the GIM teaching team are collectively authors of 3 key GIS text books. Many student projects work closely with existing research work in the department.
* Students have the opportunity to participate in varied practical activities in order to develop GI related skills. These include a one-week residential field course, extensive practical-based learning opportunities, regular 'GI-club' visits to locations of interest, conferences and social events. You will study 8 taught modules, consisting of weekly lecture materials and tasks, discussions with staff and colleagues and feedback on progress, followed by the opportunity to undertake a research topic that is of interest to you and / or your organisation, supervised by an international academic expert in a relevant area of GI Management.
* Given the large proportion of students who work within the GI industry, the course provides a unique opportunity to be part of an important community of GI practitioners who are distributed worldwide. Our online network is used for sharing expertise, job opportunities and social and professional networking during and after study at City.
* We provide you with a free copy of a GIS to use on your own computer; a free copy of a course text, extensive lecture notes and additional learning materials, access to the ESRI virtual campus, example data sets, and GI software designed specifically for teaching.
* We have an exceptional and valued student support system both online and face to face with a dedicated Programme Officer and Personal Tutor looking after student interests at all stages.