Home > Postgraduate > Law Profession / Law Practice > Huddersfield > Graduate Diploma in Law by ODL - Huddersfield - West Yorkshire

Graduate Diploma in Law by ODL

Speak without obligation to University of Huddersfield

To contact you must accept the privacy policy

Comments about Graduate Diploma in Law by ODL - At the institution - Huddersfield - West Yorkshire

  • Entry requirements
    Entry Requirements The normal requirement is a first degree in any subject from a university in the UK or the Republic of Ireland. If you are applying with a degree from outside of the UK or Irish Republic or are an applicant without a degree, you must obtain a Certificate of Academic Standing from either of the following:
  • Academic Title
    Graduate Diploma in Law by ODL
  • Course description
    Intending solicitors:

    The Law Society, Ipsley Court, Berrington Close, Redditch, Worcestershire B98 0TD

    Intending barristers:

    The General Council of the Bar, 2-3 Cursitor Street, London EC4A 1NE

    Please obtain this certificate before enrolment on the course.

    Please make your application directly to the University by 31 July in the year of entry.

    Introduction

    The course provides non-law graduates with an academically rigorous programme of study in the foundation law subjects. It is validated by the Joint Academic Stage Board (JASB) and is recognised by both the Law Society and the Bar as satisfying the academic stage of training and is ideal if you are aiming to qualify as a solicitor or barrister. The course will be equally attractive if you are a non-law graduate seeking a qualification to progress in other careers such as medicine, management and business.

    Course Structure

    The course will begin with a five-day face-to-face introductory programme. You will then study seven foundation law subjects as follows:

    Criminal Law

    EC Law

    Law of Contract

    Public Law

    Equity and Trusts

    Land Law

    Law of Tort

    In addition you must complete a self-managed research project of 3,000-4,000 words.

    Teaching and Assessment

    The course is delivered on the Internet and you can download materials and submit tutorials online for individual marking and feedback. We will encourage you to interact with each other and your tutors through e-mail discussion groups when completing tutorials. You will also have the option of attending face-to-face tutorials on Wednesday afternoons instead of written submission. In addition to the compulsory introductory programme at the beginning of the course there will also be three optional revision weekends.

    Subjects are assessed by one piece of coursework accounting for 25 per cent of the marks to be completed during the academic year and an examination accounting for the remaining 75 per cent at the end of the year in June.

    Other Information

    Exemptions

    You may gain exemptions from a minimum of four subjects including the research project provided you take and pass them within a law degree course. Intending solicitors should address their application for exemptions to the Law Society. If you intend to become a barrister then please apply to the General Council of the Bar

Other programs related to Law Profession / Law Practice

This site uses cookies. If you continue navigating, the use of cookies is deemed to be accepted. See more  |   X