Infrastructure assets are important for a country’s continued economic, social and environmental development. When looked at in this broad way, they can take many forms. For example, infrastructure assets can be those normally associated with the ‘heavy civil engineering’ sector: roads, railways, airports, flood defences, ports and harbours, water treatments plants, power plants. Equally when viewed in this way, infrastructure assets are also those normally associated with the ‘building’ sector, for example, schools, healthcare, retail and industrial outlets, housing, and the different types of government buildings. Infastructure assets, because of their size and potential impact on the environment, now need to be considered in terms of sustainable development, that is their potential impact not only on the current environment but on that of future generations. Infrastructure assets are not only important for a country’s development, they are created, owned, maintained, managed, operated and disposed of by many different types of organisations; their effective and efficient engineering and management is vitally important for these organisations as part of their resource base.
Infrastructure Asset Engineering and Management is concerned with the creation, renewal, refurbishment, management and disposal of infrastructure assets over time. In short, the engineering and management of their whole life performance. Infrastructure Asset Engineering and Management requires decisions to be made on the purpose of those assets, why investment is required and over what time period, what are the best engineering solutions, and, what are the best management options for dealing with those assets as a resource that needs to perform over time
Upon successful completion of the course students will have gained:
* An understanding of the specialist technical and managerial skills required in the whole life management of infrastructure assets,
* The ability to evaluate and apply new technical and management skills in the workplace,
* A higher level of generic and transferable management skills,
* The ability to integrate and apply theoretical concepts, ideas, tools and techniques in practice.
12 months full-time; 24 months part-time
School of Civil Engineering
Staff in the School of Civil Engineering achieved a 5 rating (ratings range from 1-5*) in the recent UK Government Research Assessment Exercise (RAE). Not only does this confirm our status as one of the foremost Civil Engineering research and learning centres, it also means that our teaching staff are at the leading-edge of their field so students benefit from world-class cutting-edge learning and teaching.
The postgraduate research programmes are operated within the Civil Engineering Research Institute (CERI), which is part of School of Civil Engineering. With a worldwide reputation for the quality and scope of its research programmes, the Institute offers a variety of research grant, contract and consultancy services; taught postgraduate courses and doctoral research programmes.
What you study
The following compulsory and optional models are available:
* Whole Life Asset Management
* Principals of Appraisal, Repair and Maintenance
* Deterioration and Maintenance of Concrete Structures
* Project Management
* Funding for Projects
* Value Management
* Asset Management Practice
* Deterioration and Maintenance of Masonry and Timber Structures
* Deterioration and Maintenance of Iron and Steel Structures
* Deterioration and Maintenance of Pavements
* Risk Management
* Structural and Constructional Aspects of Building Refurbishment
* Bridge Maintenance and Management
* Rail Infrastructure Asset Maintenance and Management
* Design and Management of Structure in Earth Quake Zones
* Advanced Value Management
Students will also undertake a dissertation and may select a topic from a range of field, laboratory, computer or literature based projects, or may prose a topic of their choice. In all cases a member of academic staff will be assigned as a supervisor for the project.
(As a fast moving area these options are liable to change so for up to date information please contact us directly).