Master of Digital Fabrication for Interaction
Changing Digital Design into a functional products
- Type of course : Master
- Language : English
- School: Design
- IED Credits: 60
- Start date: October 2019
- Duration: 9 months
- Timetable : Afternoon Contact classes: 19:00 to 22:30h (2 days a week) Online lessons: 16:00 to 20:00h (Fr) | 10:00 to 14:00h (Sat) Intensive attendance-based Workshop: 1 weekend/month
- Attendance: blended
- Qualification: Private Course students will receive a certificate. Those who are taking the double qualification with the Fab Academy will also receive the Fab Diploma issued by the Fab Foundation.
- Directed to : Designers, architects, engineers, entrepreneurs, artists, etc. Anyone linked to the field of design.
- Admission process : CV / motivation letter Portfolio (no greater than 3MB) / website Personal interview, if deemed appropriate by the teaching coordinator
Digital Fabrication has enabled the leap from industrial manufacturing –which is hard to access- to affordable and accessible personal fabrication to allow for rapid prototyping in the development of projects.
With this course, you will learn to handle a digital workflow, in both the design and prototyping stages, learning to distinguish between different manufacturing processes for prototyping and designing your projects efficiently and quickly.
You will also learn to make your designs "smart" by equipping them with connectivity, interaction and responsive design. You will learn to do this in four steps: integration of electronics in the design, programming electronics, mechanical outputs so that your projects "do things" and interaction between your projects and their environment.
You will learn while you work on your projects, through learning by doing, combined with the knowledge offered by the best international faculty and the facilities of the Fab Lab IED Madrid, which you will have free access to all day long, so you can work on your prototypes and experiments.
- Understand manufacturing processes and contemporary rapid prototyping
- Develop your creativity and ability to solve design problems while providing specific solutions to real manufacturing problems
- Lend your projects the ability to interact and respond to the environment around them
- Enhance your digital representation skills and computer modeling
- Understand difficulties of bringing a product to market
- Obtain a roadmap of the many processes of technological development that are emerging and learn to incorporate them into your projects
How we do it?
- Design lead
- Process and Prototyping manager
- Product engineering
- Product specialist
- Embedded designer and developer
- Fab Lab Manager
- Workshop and facilities manager
The teaching methodology of the IED Innovation Labs constitutes the convergence of the theoretical knowledge of the best international professionals with their practical development in the Fab Lab, a prototyping laboratory fully equipped with everything necessary for the whole development of projects.
During the week you develop in a practical manner everything you have learned during the lectures guru's an mentor's sessions.
Organization of each module:
- Online Lessons
- Practice at Fab Lab
- Intensive Workshop