Speak without obligation to
Sheffield Hallam University
Your request has been sent correctly
Would you like to receive information about these related courses?
Just one more thing ...
Some institutions ask us for this data. Please, fill them in
Comments about MSc-PgDip-PgCert Advanced Engineering - At the institution - Sheffield - South Yorkshire
Graduates in technical subjects can broaden their experience in mechanical and management areas. This can enhance career prospects in engineering, teaching and public service.
This course is especially relevant for mechanical and manufacturing engineers and technicians wishing to broaden their industrial and managerial skills. It is ideal for continuing professional development and updating technical skills.
MSc/PgDip/PgCert Advanced Engineering
Engineering is constantly changing, and graduates often face a need to deepen their technical skills and understanding.
You study two management modules, with four core and two optional technical modules. This gives you advanced tuition in one of three areas of engineering design, manufacturing or materials. Each route has its own modules to adapt the course to your career requirements.
We emphasise applying knowledge to relevant workplace skills in areas such as
• design, manufacture and materials options
• core management disciplines of quality, finance and marketing
The international product development module involves working in multidisciplinary teams to design and develop a product in the global market. In the past, project teams have worked with students from the Mecuria Business School in Finland to share the research and development of a product for the European market.
One group developed a self-heating vacuum flask. The engineers, based in Sheffield, provided the technical innovation and design while the business students provided market evidence to produce a business plan for the product. Joint presentations were held at each site via video conferencing.
This course helps you to develop your career.
You choose a combination of management, technical and optional modules from a choice of 36. Your choice must total eight 15-credit modules and be agreed with your course leader. At least four must be technical modules.
The modules include
•systems modelling and simulation • finance and marketing • business process management • project and quality management • international project development • competitive materials technology
• computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacture • management of strategy change and innovation • competitive design for manufacture • finite element/finite difference analysis • advanced manufacturing technology • manufacturing systems
• advanced metallic materials • supply chain and manufacturing strategy • lean operations • engineering for sustainability • energy and environmental management • project and dissertation
• computer networks • communication media • network applications • communication engineering • digital signal processing • applicable artificial intelligence
• microprocessor engineering • software engineering • operating systems • object oriented methods • digital electronics system design • vlsi design
• advanced computer system architecture • advanced vibration and acoustics • machine vision • equipment engineering and design • control of linear systems • advanced investigatory techniques for materials engineers • advanced control methods