MSW Social Work

Speak without obligation to Sheffield Hallam University

To contact you must accept the privacy policy

Image gallery

Comments about MSW Social Work - At the institution - Sheffield - South Yorkshire

  • Entry requirements
    Entry requirements You must normally • hold at least a first degree of 2.2 or above in a relevant subject, which includes psychology, sociology, social policy and public administration or • hold a professional qualification at degree level in areas such as teaching, nursing, occupational therapy, youth work or allied health/education professions You also need to complete a personal statement to support your application. You do not need to confirm your research interests at this stage. Professional requirements You must meet the Department of Health (DoH) requirements for social work training, which state you must • have the appropriate personal and intellectual qualities to be a social worker • have Key Skills level 2 in English and Application of Number, or an equivalent qualification such as GCSE grade C • be able to make use of written materials and communicate clearly and accurately in spoken and written English. If your first language is not English you must hold a British Council International English Language Testing Scheme (IELTS) qualification at Band 7. If you do not have a suitable qualification in mathematics, Learn Direct offer on-line tests and support packages to assist with gaining a level 2 qualification in numeracy. The GSCC state that you must • have satisfactory criminal convictions checks • have satisfied health checks by student self-declaration, GP statements and occupational health checks • be of good character Conditions for these checks comply with the GSCC Social Care Register as far as possible. If you are an overseas student, you must have been granted permanent leave to remain in the UK. If you have spent time abroad, you must provide a certificate of conduct, which must cover the years not spent in the UK. This is necessary when you apply for the enhanced disclosure required to work in the health and social care sector. Work Experience You must demonstrate in your application, and at interview, an understanding of some of the challenges facing you as a social worker. This may include issues in social care or other areas including • education • health • criminal justice • childcare • community or youth work. You also need to demonstrate a commitment to valuing the culture and diversity of others. You must have at least six months recent experience of working with service users and carers. This can be paid or voluntary work and we ask you to bring a reference to your interview. If you have relevant life experience as a service user or carer this can be used to support your application. You should discuss this reflectively as part of your application form. Personal experience alone would not be sufficient for entry to the programme. Disqualifications In the interests of the protection of the public, all interviewed candidates must provide a declaration relating to previous criminal convictions, bindings over and cautions. No candidate will be admitted to the course if it appears that the seriousness of timing of convictions means that the practice learning agencies would be unwilling to offer placements. Police checks are carried out by placement agencies prior to the first practice learning. Failure to declare convictions that subsequently come to light, or the acquisition of serious convictions after admission, may result in you being required to leave the course. Candidates are also asked to make a declaration about any disciplinary proceedings in your past or present employment, or any investigations under the Children Act 1989 or previous relevant legislation.
  • Academic title
    MSW Social Work
  • Course description
    This course is now recruiting for January 2009 entry. The UCAS deadline for applications to the full time course is 30th June 2008. Part time students should also apply by that date.

    The course is for people who hold a suitable degree or relevant professional qualification. It may also be of interest to those wanting a change of career and to develop professional competence in social care. You can apply for a bursary from the General Social Care Council to support your study.

    We emphasise multidisciplinary teaching and learning and let you engage with other health and social care students such as those studying occupational therapy. We also encourage you to develop your leadership and research skills.

    You attend taught modules and complete a self-directed dissertation with support from a University supervisor. You also undertake two practice placements during the course, totalling 200 days of practice learning. There may be funded international practice learning opportunities available with placements across Europe.

    As part of the course, you also gain the equivalent of the European Computer Driving Licence. This is needed to qualify as a social worker.

    As a social worker you come into contact with many different people and you need to communicate with and relate to them all. It is important to demonstrate respect and value the culture and diversity of others.

    You must also be a good communicator and be able to work effectively as part of a team.

    Associated careers

    You can work in careers alongside other professionals including • nurses • lawyers • teachers • occupational therapists • doctors • social security officers • housing officers.

    Organisations you may be employed by include • social services and social work departments • health education and other local authority departments • residential homes • housing associations • a range of national and local voluntary organisations • the independent sector.

    You work with a range of people such as • children and young families • people with mental health problems, learning difficulties or physical disabilities • old people • young people.

    Course content

    • introduction to practice • social work theory and methods • foundations for practice • research for practice • practice learning one • development for practice • practice learning two • social work in context • enhanced professional practice • dissertation

    To be awarded the Masters in Social Work you must complete the dissertation. If you do not complete the dissertation we award a Masters in Social Care.

    You also need to take the European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL) to qualify as a social worker. You develop the computer skills needed as you progress through the course, with assessment for your ECDL at the course end.

Other programs related to social work

This site uses cookies.
If you continue navigating, the use of cookies is deemed to be accepted.
See more  |