Speak directly and without obligation to
University of Edinburgh
Your request has been sent correctly
Would you like to receive information about these related courses?
Just one more thing ...
Some institutions ask us for this data. Please, fill them in
PG Cert Democracy and Public Policy - At the institution - Edinburgh - Scotland
PG Cert Democracy and Public Policy
The programme explores policy and practice issues in relation to different levels of democratic government (local, devolved, national, European) and explores how the boundaries between these levels are managed. It is taught by academics with a track record of bringing scholarly and analytic insights to bear on issues of practical concern in public policy and administration. Students complete assessed work for the course Multi-level Democracy and Public Policy. They also spend a period of time as an intern working with a public policy or governance body in Scotland. The internship provides the basis for their independent Research Project in Democracy and Public Policy.
Students who follow this programme will:
* acquire an applied knowledge of 'multilevel government' in the UK, focused on structures of government and policy processes in local, devolved, UK and transnational settings and the linkages between them;
* develop and refresh skills in research and analysis, including the synthesis of information and the analysis and presentation of argument, orally and in writing;
* be able to combine scholarly enquiry with practical work in public policy and administration;
* gain practical experience of a public policy and administration in a setting other than that in their home country;
* pursue study informed by a rich and active research culture.
How You Will Be Taught
This is a joint venture between the Hansard Society Scotland and the Institute of Governance at the University of Edinburgh. It has a number of complementary components, which take place over a 13-week period, consisting of: masterclasses, a research project, internship placement and study visits and cultural events