Speak directly and without obligation to
University of Edinburgh
Your request has been sent correctly
Would you like to receive information about these related courses?
Just one more thing ...
Some institutions ask us for this data. Please, fill them in
PG Cert University Teaching - At the institution - Edinburgh - Scotland
Entry Requirements This programme is aimed at academic staff from the University of Edinburgh with teaching responsibilities.
PG Cert University Teaching
The programme is designed to introduce staff to significant issues in relation to teaching, learning and assessment at a research-intensive institution, combine reference with theory and educational literature with practical application and make use of a wide variety of teaching and assessment strategies to demonstrate good practice. It is in the first instance targeted at new lecturers wishing to develop their understanding of theoretical concepts as well as their practical skills required for creating effective learning environments for students. However, experienced staff wishing to further enhance their existing knowledge and skill in selected aspects of teaching and learning are also eligible to enrol. As such, the programme provides much needed CPD opportunities for all academic staff at the University (inexperienced and experienced).
Students who follow this programme will be able to:
* demonstrate a critical understanding of the key concepts and theories relating to teaching, learning and assessment in higher education;
* critically assess the extent to which present learning environments within their school are conducive to promoting high quality learning;
* have practical knowledge of how to design effective learning environments within research-intensive settings;
* have an advanced understanding of the various perspectives by which to explore differences among learners and the capacity to develop creative ways of working with different learners in a variety of contexts;
* demonstrate the ability to critically reflect on their own practice and as such, take an informed and professional approach to university teaching.
How You Will Be Taught
The programme will be taught primarily through face-to-face teaching but will make use of some online learning activities. Courses will employ a variety of teaching methods so as to model good practice. Lectures will be complemented by small- and large-group discussions and debates, various forms of group work in cognate and mixed subject areas, as well as independent project work. Assessment will take place through formal course-work submissions. All course assessments contribute to the aims of the programme and relate directly to individual course learning outcomes. A considerable degree of choice is built into each of the assessments either by letting participants choose between two options or by allowing for substantial flexibility in how to approach the required assignment. The final assessment requirement is a "synoptic assessment" which course participants complete as part of the core option Developing My Approach to Teaching.