Postgraduate Course in Documentary Photography and Reportage
- Type of course : Postgraduate
- Language : English
- School: Visual Communication
- IED Credits: 20
- Start date: January
- Duration: 3 months
- Timetable : Morning-Afternoon 10.00 - 13.00 h (M - F. 3, 4 or 5 day per week) Selected workshops will take place from 10.00 to 14.00 h
- Attendance: in-person
- Qualification: Private qualification at the end of the course, when the student will receive a certificate.
- Directed to : Students with photography qualifications, fine arts, media, advertising and communication. Young photographers who wish to specialise in professional photographer. Photographers who work in the sector and want to develop their own style in their professional and personal work.
- Admission process : · Curriculum vitae. · Motivation letter. · Technical photography knowledge (One Year Photography Course of the IED Madrid or equivalent); basic post-production knowledge and familiarity with different audiovisual formats. · Art project portfolio · Personal interview if the management deems it necessary. · In order to take part in the course, students must have their own camera.
Make your mark in documentary photography. Reinterpret the world around you through technical knowledge and a global understanding of social, political and economic issues.
As the first of three modules that form the Master of Professional Photography at the IED Madrid, this specialization course is dedicated to documentary and reportage. It also includes transferable knowledge in copyright issues, media relations, communication theory, ethics of the image, retouching and colour correction, new documentary practice, location management, and contracts. A strong and appealing personal work can make the difference when trying to convince magazines and publishers. Based on this assumption, the enhancement of the students’ professional skills in documentary photography is complemented by developing a personal body of work.
The co-directors of this course are good examples of a new breed of photographers who see their documentary work embedded in the artistic field. They are also docents of the European Master of Fine Art Photography and will tutor the students in the creation of a personal artistic project that will go far beyond pure technical excellence.
Students will enter the world of reportage through a network of lecturers, teacher, tutors, and the program’s directors. They have the opportunity to further their studies in the framework of the Master of Professional Photography and to promote the final project through our contributing partners, with the ends of publication and distribution.
- Offer students a view of the current tendencies in documentary
- photography and audio-visual reportage.
- Implement the tools and knowledge used in press and editorial
- Introduce different modes of practice in documentary photography.
- Reflect upon the role of the photographer within the media and his/her
- relationship with the editor, the art director and the client.
- Experience, through a real assignment from the tutor, what it’s like to
- create a story that is good enough to be published.
- Examine photographic practices within contemporary media contexts.
- Show the cultural value of photography, forms of collaboration and
- creative funding models.
- Analyse the challenges and limitations of the market in times of strong
- media convergence and downsizing.
- Press and media photographer
- Editorial photographer
- Post-production artist
- Picture editor
- Agency Assistant