Speak directly and without obligation to
University of Glasgow
Your request has been sent correctly
Would you like to receive information about these related courses?
Just one more thing ...
Some institutions ask us for this data. Please, fill them in
Russian, Central & East European Studies (MSc) - At the institution - Glasgow - Scotland
Russian, Central & East European Studies (MSc)
MSc: 12 months full-time; 24 months part-time
This programme consists of two substantive core courses (taken in semester 1):
* State and society under communism: social and economic frameworks
* Thematic issues in Russian, Central and East European studies.
Two other courses chosen from this list of options (taken in semester 2):
* Changing state and society in Central Europe
* Economic transformation in Central East Europe
* Gender and identity in Soviet and post-Soviet Russia
* Post-Soviet Russia: renegotiating global and local identities
* Globalisation and the new security agenda in Central and Eastern Europe
* Society, environment and the concept of sustainable development in post-Soviet Russia
* Stalin and Stalinism
* Statehood and nationality in Central and Eastern Europe
* Research methods for studying Russia and Central and Eastern Europe
* A maximum of one outside option from a cognate department in the Faculties of Arts or Law, Business & Social Sciences.
Compulsory language training (Czech, Estonian, Latvian, Polish, Russian, Slovak or possibly Hungarian) is undertaken throughout the year and a dissertation (12,000-15,000 words) must be submitted at the end of the MSc programme.
The department offers you the opportunity to spend a month in the city of Ul'ianovsk which is situated in the middle-Volga region of the Russian Federation. The visit includes intensive Russian language classes and a full cultural programme including visits to Moscow and Kazan. Language/study trips to other countries in the region are also organised in June/July. Some financial support is available from the department to help students fund these trips.