One year (MSc), 9 months (Dip).
This course, offered jointly by Heriot-Watt and Glasgow Universities, provides expert up-to-date knowledge in the field of water engineering and water resources management. It is suitable for graduates in civil engineering, earth sciences and related disciplines. Particular emphasis is attached to management skills, environmental policies and computational technology.
The programme enables students to expand their expertise in civil engineering hydraulics and computational hydraulics, and exposes them to management and business strategies, environmental implications of water engineering schemes, and industry-standard software packages and tools including GIS. Graduates will offer employers a wide base of advanced knowledge in important areas of water resources engineering. The teaching staff reflect the multi-disciplinary nature of the course and are drawn from a variety of disciplines, including civil and hydraulic engineering, water resources, environmental modelling and environmental economics.
An important aspect of the course is the specialist MSc dissertation, which can be taken in a wide range of specialisms, often in collaboration with the water industry.
* Environmental Hydrology and Water Resources
* Design and Simulation of Water Supply and Drainage Systems
* Groundwater Flow and Contamination
* River Engineering
* Environmental Economics
* Integrated Catchment Modelling
* Computer Simulation of River Flood Flows
* Water Quality Modelling in Rivers
* Environmental Infrastructure & Processes
* Pumping and Gravity Systems – Waterhammer and Pressure Surge
* Geo-information Systems
* Environmental Policy and Wastewater Treatment