Do you want to be editor of Elle, GQ, Asiana, or i-D, fashion editor of the Times or the Voice, fashion critic on Vogue.com, gossip writer for W or Hintmag.com, or the creator of a revolutionary niche magazine? This new degree is designed to let you shine in the new world of convergent media where journalists are as at home uploading to a website as they are writing for a magazine or editing a newspaper section. You should be totally engaged with the various ever-developing strands within the media, have a love of writing, original ideas and a curious mind.
BA Fashion Journalism
The degree addresses fashion in all its aspects from frocks on the catwalk to the great paradigm shifts in the way we live now. Fashion, beauty, design, interiors, food, cultural and sexual mores and myriad lifestyle issues will provide your subject matter. In preparation, the BA Fashion Journalism encompasses:
* the history of the media and their cultural, commercial, sociological and political context and media analysis and market targeting.
* cultural and contextual studies including the history of fashion.
* in-depth research methodologies including interviewing, constructing questionnaires and using focus groups.
* a wide range of professional writing and editing techniques underpinned by Tee-line shorthand and subbing skills.
* visual communication theory and practice, picture styling, setting up and running a photographic shoot, working with photographers and basic art directing plus ICT skills including Desk Top Publishing, magazine lay-out and construction.
* media law and ethics, moral and ecological issues.
* cultural trend and fashion forecasting.
* website and blog design and various complementary multi-media skills.