This course is taught by a professional cake decorator. Learn how to create easy traditional and contemporary designs suitable for a summer wedding. Included are coating and sugar top decorations. Expert advice on presentation, stacking, tiering and transporting. You may visit an exhibition. You will not learn to bake cakes. You will work on dummies or your own cakes.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- choose and use correct tools and equipment
- make a range of pastes for fabric effects
- use marzipan and sugarpaste
- use simple piping techniques
- use correct proportion and balance in design
- describe global, historical and cultural backgrounds to subject
- compile a personal reference file
You will agree a course outline. Each week the lesson will consist of mini lecture, demonstrations, small group, individual practical work on samples. There is an emphasis on student research, peer sharing of ideas and practice at home is encouraged.
You will have access to the learning centre at Tooting which has a good selection of reference magazines and books. The teacher has a library of design ideas and samples.
Tutor observation and feedback. Individual Learning Plans. Student and peer self assessment. Course file appraisal
Do another Level 2 course in cake decoration or sugar craft.