Speak without obligation to
Bromley College of Further & Higher Education
Your request has been sent correctly
Would you like to receive information about these related courses?
Just one more thing ...
Some institutions ask us for this data. Please, fill them in
Comments about Course - NVQ Level 1 Hairdressing - At the institution - Bromley - Greater London
Entry requirements Assessment in English and Maths, one week's work experience, and a work placement in a salon for the duration of the course.
NVQ Level 1 Hairdressing
This one year full-time course is designed for those wishing to enter the hairdressing industry. This course covers the basic treatments and hairdressing skills.
The NVQ Level 1 programme will include:
* Shampooing and conditioning hair
* Assisting with perming, colouring and/or relaxing services
* Contributing to reception duties
* Contributing to effective working relationships
* Supporting health and safety
* Preparing for hairdressing services
Six units must be completed for the full NVQ/SVQ. Each candidate must complete the five Mandatory Units and one Optional Unit.
* G1 Ensure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
* G3 Contribute to the development of effective working relationships
* H1 Shampoo and condition hair
* H5 Prepare for hairdressing services and maintain work areas
* H37 Assist with colouring services
Plus one of the following Optional Units
* H38 Assist with perming services
* H39 Assist with perming and relaxing services
* H40 Assist with relaxing services for African Caribbean hair
* G2 Assist with salon reception duties.
Teaching and assessment
All Hairdressing programmes are assessed through a combination of the following: Observation of practical work on clients, Project, Assignment and Case Studies, Written and Oral Questioning, Work Place Assessment, Building a 'Portfolio of Evidence' to be submitted for assessment at the completion of the programme or an individual unit, as negotiated with your tutor. A pre-entry requirement on the full-time programmes. On the full-time programmes you are required to have organised a work placement salon which is attended once a week throughout the duration of the course.
Lessons will be a combination of taught theory lessons & practical lessons. The practical lessons will take place in fully equipped salons where the students will have demonstrations and the opportunity to develop their hairdressing skills in the required units. When skills are at the required standard, students will be assessed on clients. The theory classes prepare the students for the tests & assignments they have to complete as part of the syllabus. Students will participate in group activities & individual study tasks. The timetable will also incorporate a study day where you will be required to work independently on completing study guides, research tasks and assignments in your own time. On full time courses, students will be required to attend work experience in a hairdressing salon for two weeks.
Successful completion of all units will enable you to seek employment in a hairdressing salon as a junior. You may also be able to progress to NVQ Level 2.