This degree provides a specialist focus on the management of information and utilising information systems in organisations to provide effective information services.
As this course shares a common first term with the degrees in Information Systems and Technology and Information Systems you can decide on your area of focus once you are in a position to make an informed choice.
Your understanding of information and its role in organisations will enable you to align the enterprise and its information systems. The course will equip you to develop your career in roles that include the management of business information and related services.
This prepares you for a range of information (system) management roles often found in banks, consultancies, pharmaceutical and other industries, central and local government, the education and health sectors, for example. The course is also excellent preparation for doctoral (PhD) study.
You will gain:
* understanding of the characteristics of information management, and using information systems, to provide effective services
* skills in evaluating and selecting appropriate methods and technologies for representing, managing and disseminating information
* skills in contributing to the management of organisational information using sound principles
* an appreciation of the necessary legal, ethical and professional values appropriate to the management of information services.
Why study this course at City University London?
* the Information Management, Information Systems, and Information Systems and Technology degrees all share a common first term, enabling experience to inform your choice about which one is ultimately right for you
* the course provides an 'info-socio-technical' approach, combining information and systems modules and streams in a social and organizational context
* the electives have been selected from staff research interests and expertise to provide in-depth cutting edge approaches in selected areas, such as information retrieval, visualization, legal aspects, open source systems, in a top-rated (RAE 5) research department
* all modules in this course are supported by the University's innovative online learning environment (CitySpace). You will be able to access lecture materials and engage in discussions with student colleagues, teaching staff and the course team.
* the flexible course design caters for students with a range of disciplines and experiences, from home and overseas, who themselves contribute to a stimulating learning environment and experience
* London is a convenient location, with numerous career opportunities. City University is close to the 'Square Mile', in an area associated with the creative industries, with access to national resources (such as the British Library)