Information

Key landmarks in our history include:

-1899 Kingston Technical Institute opens, offering courses ranging from Chemistry, Electric Wiring and Building Construction to Nursing, Dressmaking and Clay Modelling
-1917 Gipsy Hill College for teacher training opens
-1926 The Board of Education formally recognises the Institute as a Technical College
-1930 The Kingston School of Art separates from the Technical College (moving to Knights Park in 1939 and becoming a College of Art in 1945)
-1946 Gipsy Hill College moves to Kingston Hill 
-1951 The first Penryhn Road campus buildings open (by 1963 they are housing 955 full-time students; 2,259 part-time students and 2,629 evening students)
-1953 The Technical College opens its first library (with lending services starting in 1954)
-1957 The Ministry of Education recognises Kingston as a Regional College of Technology
-1963 Gipsy Hill College gains College of Education status
-1965 The College of Technology establishes its own orchestra 
-1966 The College of Technology purchases its first computer, costing £50,000 
-1970 The College of Technology and the College of Art merge to form Kingston Polytechnic; it offers 34 major courses, 17 of which at degree level
-1975 Gipsy Hill College merges with Kingston Polytechnic
-1992 Kingston Polytechnic becomes Kingston University
-1993 Roehampton Vale campus building opens
-1995 The University acquires Dorich House
-1999  The University celebrates its centenary 

Institution courses and Masters

Page 1 of 18

Page 1 of 18

This site uses cookies. If you continue navigating, the use of cookies is deemed to be accepted. See more  |   X