This course is aimed at engineering and product design graduates who want to contribute to improving the lifestyle of many people needing community care. The course will specialise in the development of products including remote diagnostics, assisted living/communication devices, intelligent clothing and technological innovations linked to housing design. It will also cover further emerging areas linked to the design and development of new and existing products focusing on communication for assisted living.
Features to be included: remote diagnostic of the physical parameters of an individual through, for example, intelligent clothing using bio-feedback; remote communication with individuals and the more challenging area of remote communication between the individual and their house or living space. This could include verbal or other communication to control ambient conditions, ordering of goods and services, the control of individual appliances and contact with the emergency services.
Our Intelligent Health Technology MSc degree is one of the new courses offered in association with the Health Design & Technology Institute (HDTI) at Coventry University.
Reasons to choose Intelligent Health Technology MSc degree
* This is a unique course for utilising engineering and product design skills to benefit people needing community care.
* This course operates at the cutting edge of integrating product design, communications and health technologies.
Graduates will be equipped with the necessary skills to secure an exciting career in intelligent product design, with an emphasis on the development of products underpinned by healthcare technology.
The course content will include:
* the market for intelligent health technology products, the needs of those in community care, the medical and legislative standards governing the design of health products for assisted living
* examples of existing state of the art intelligent health technology applied in the area of assistive technology, such as wheelchairs, intelligent clothing and smart houses
* the design process, design management, and creative problem solving together with design communication taking into account ergonomics, ethical and sustainability issues
* health telematics and telecare systems used for communication in the application of intelligent health technology products for assisted living and environmental control
* the use of computer aided engineering, mechanical and control engineering science, materials and manufacturing processes required to design and develop intelligent health technology products that provide functional, efficient and safe operation
* group projct work to integrate the elements of thought material from the modules to research, design and present an intelligent health technology product that would improve the healtcare of lifestyle of those in community care
The course will be delivered by the Faculty of Engineering and Computing and will be closely associated with the new Health Design and Technology Institute.