Emphasis is placed on the advancement of professional practice by offering the opportunity to accredit the development of work based projects, whilst extending knowledge of the underpinning educational theory.
Students are able to expand upon their existing subject specific knowledge with individual tutor support. Additionally there is an opportunity to explore and challenge current educational policy by creating a lively discussion forum.
Postgraduate Certificate (PgC)
2 modules will be chosen from a suite which includes:
* Advanced Pedagogical Practice in Subject Related Disciplines
* Contemporary Issues in Education
* Curriculum Issues in the Early Years
* The Nature of Teaching and Learning Innovation and Reflection in Practice Settings Inclusive Education from Policy to Practice Children's Problems
* Exploring Equality and Diversity in Educational Settings and an Independent Study
Postgraduate Diploma (PgD)
* 1 further module from the above suite and 1 module which explores Research Methods
* A dissertation that is guided study based on individual research within the chosen field
Teaching and Assessment
A variety of options are available for study, many modules being available on line. Whilst some modules will continue to be offered face-to-face, others will be by Saturday workshops, support sessions within cluster groups or by directed study.
Assessment is either by written assignment, presentation, thesis or evidence of personal research within the chosen area of study.
There are no specific placements associated with this programme although many students are practising teachers and there is an opportunity to develop professional practice within their work base.
The programme is ideally suited to all teachers and other professionals in fields closely related to education. The new, flexible approach to teaching and learning makes this particularly suitable for those already in employment.
A higher degree will be valuable when applying for promotion within the teaching profession and related fields.
Ordinarily routes would be 3 Years Part-time although it may be possible to offer a 1 Year Full-time route. Candidates should check its availability for the academic year in which they wish to be considered