Do you want to re-evaluate and develop your practice?
Do you want to develop new skills and approaches?
Are you a committed, organised and independent learner?
Do you want to test and expand your creative ideas with a peer group?
If the answers to the above questions are 'yes' then this programme is for you.
The department is a centre of diverse creative and academic activity in the form of artist access, skills programmes and research. There are a number of research students working in Ceramics as well as artists in residence, including a Crafts Council 'Next Move' placement. All staff associated with the programme are engaged in professional practice or research. Students on this programme will work alongside MA Glass students, providing a lively and diverse peer group.
The department has a proven track record of attracting a broad range of students in terms of age, nationality, and background. Students have joined the programme having studied or worked in other areas such as fine art, glass, sculpture, jewellery, architecture, photography, painting, interior design or engineering.
Postgraduate Certificate (PgC) 60 credits
* Ceramics - Self Negotiated Stage 1
* Studio work and Critical Studies
Broadly experimental. Students are encouraged to reflect on their previous practice and develop new approaches.
Postgraduate Diploma (PgD) 60 credits
* Ceramics - Self Negotiated Stage
* Studio work and Critical Studies
Consolidation and professionalism. Students are encouraged to further develop their studio practice and consider what 'professionalism' might mean in relation their practice.
Masters (MA) 60 credits
* Ceramics Exhibition and Report
Students are encouraged to continue to develop their artwork to create a synthesis of form and content. They will set their artwork within a wider context of art and design in a written report.
Teaching and Assessment
The programme comprises of three stages and is modular in structure. Each stage represents 60 credits. To successfully complete the MA in Ceramics each student must complete 180 credits. Each stage is delivered consecutively and the content is cumulative.
Stages 1 and 2 include one 40 credit 'Ceramics - Self negotiated project' module. These modules run concurrently with 20 credit Critical Studies modules.
Stage 3 comprises of one 60 credit module that includes a written report representing 20% of the final marks. The remaining 80% relates to the visual presentation.
Study visits and personal research are undertaken by prior arrangement and MA students are encouraged to work on commissions and 'live' projects where applicable.
The postgraduate students leaving with this award are likely to enter, or return to, employment within the cultural industries.
This programme has a clear vocational focus. The skills gained in all modules will equip students to further their careers within the sector. This award may also prepare students to take advantage of opportunities for further study at doctoral level or other professional development routes.
Ceramics at Sunderland
The University of Sunderland has been teaching ceramics and glass for over 20 years and is now one of the key providers in Europe.
The University's provision was greatly enhanced when the department moved into new studio spaces at the National Glass Centre in 2001. Since then the level of equipment and space has been further enhanced with over £1 million of external funding in the last two years. This gives Masters students access to a unique range of equipment including; large kilns, a large water-jet cutter, mould making area, glaze lab, lathe room, slip casting room, print studio, and computer suite.