The course pursues regeneration and development by constantly adapting to the realities and needs of the designers of the future. We see this as a positive challenge and an inspiration to the work within all our courses. New ideas, materials, methods and design applications are continually originated and progressed by our MA, MPhil and PhD students.
The course encourages a fearless approach to creative expression, fanatical technique and informed professionalism and communication. The understanding of individuality within a global design context is realised through our excellent links with practicing designers, established brands and a dedicated academic staff. The RCA menswear course is reputed for producing the most exciting menswear designers
to launch onto the fashion scene in recent years.
Remarkable achievements continue to be made in all areas. The courses and specialisms have advanced and developed successfully, enriching the whole School of Fashion & Textiles and achieving professional recognition for its graduates. We are assured of the success of the department through the high international employment profile secured by our graduates who, as they achieve seniority in their own careers, return to the College to recruit young designers. Many of our former students also establish their own businesses in all aspects of design.
Students participate in the organisation of exhibitions generated by the courses, in particular the annual work-in-progress exhibition. A professional practice programme, seminars and guest speakers from the design and related industries support the core curriculum.
The department offers:
- the only course in the world to specialise in Menswear design at MA level
- specialist senior staff including a full-time Menswear technician
- a curriculum designed to balance individual creative expression, technical excellence and professionalism
- diversity of teaching approaches offered by both new and established practitioners
- a vibrant and dedicated studio/workshop housing a broad range of specialist machinery
- a developing centre for pedagogic and practice-based research
- opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration college-wide
- recent project collaborations with international corporations, companies and fashion houses including Brioni, Umbro, Manolo Blahnik, Blackberry, J Panther Luggage Co, Crown and Bill Amberg
- excellent graduate destinations, including among many others: Maison Margeila, Givenchy, Prada, Gucci, Burberry, Adidas, Nike, McQueen, Asprey, Versace, Aquascutum, Topman, COS and Umbro
- opportunities for representation in major exhibitions and competitions, including recently the V&A (Future Fashion Now), Design Museum (Super Contemporary), Buckingham Palace, HM Treasury, International Talent Support (fashion collection winners include Marcus Wilmont, Aitor Throup and Mason Jung) and Hyeres
- alumni including Charlie Allen, Neil Barrett, Marcus Wilmont (Aminaka Wilmont), Aitor Throup, Carolyn Massey, James Long and Katy Eary.