Speak without obligation to
Sheffield Hallam University
Your request has been sent correctly
Would you like to receive information about these related courses?
Just one more thing ...
Some institutions ask us for this data. Please, fill them in
Comments about MA-PgDip-PgCert International Broadcast Journalism - At the institution - Sheffield - South Yorkshire
Entry requirements Normally • an honours degree, in any discipline • an interest in current affairs • overseas students need a IELTS level of 6.5 standard We will also consider you, if you have work experience in an appropriate field. If you feel you can demonstrate the ability to complete the course successfully, please contact us for an informal chat.
MA/PgDip/PgCert International Broadcast Journalism
There has probably never been a more challenging and exciting time to work as a professional journalist, especially in broadcasting.
This demanding postgraduate degree develops your skills as a journalist in three key areas of global communication – television, radio and multimedia. It has a broad focus that includes international journalism. This is especially important in what is now a global industry.
You study hands-on editorial and production skills. There are also theory modules in • legal systems • political systems • professional practice • communications in the UK and internationally.
We have links with the BBC and the Press Association – the UK’s leading news gathering and training organisation.
You will be taught by experienced, enthusiastic and committed academics and practicing national journalists including existing broadcast journalists.
The course contains an even mix of academic learning and vocational training and you learn to
• understand and appreciate the craft of journalism
• develop critical awareness and understanding of the professional and regulatory structure of international broadcast journalism
• understand the law related to journalism, with emphasis on broadcasting
• apply ethical standards in journalism
• uphold a professional standard of international news gathering
• understand the political processes and the constraints and opportunities journalists face
• develop the technical skills to work in television, radio and multimedia
You gain key skills including how to
• originate and develop ideas for news stories
• gather news and carry out research and investigations
• interview individuals face-to-face, by phone or multimedia devices, in a studio or on location, live and recorded
• write for different formats, such as television, radio and multimedia
• develop contacts
• confirm material and ensure it is accurate, legal and meets regulations
• work as a journalist in various testing situations
Learning on the course is enhanced by our latest facilities which includes a new, purpose-built newsroom at our city campus. The dedicated newsroom includes the latest radio and television recording and editing facilities and has access to a 24-hour news feed from the BBC.
This course improves your career opportunities throughout international broadcasting.
• practical radio and television production • newsgathering • interviewing • researching stories • the role of the journalist • ethics • legal systems • political systems • journalism and society • regulation