This new course provides a grounding and training in research methods and skills, it aims:
* To provide a broad and practical education in psychological research training which is informed by staff research experience.
* To attract high-quality students who wish to study research methods in psychology and their practical applications.
* To equip students with a range of transferable academic and employmentrelated skills.
* To provide a distinctive specialist postgraduate programme which incorporates professional training and advanced study in psychological research.
* To equip students with the critical skills to enable them to plan, execute, analyse and disseminate high-quality psychological research.
Successful graduates will be able to:
* Demonstrate a systematic understanding of different psychological research methodologies and a critical awareness of key relevant issues within psychological research activity.
* Demonstrate awareness of professional and ethical issues relating to planning, conducting and disseminating research.
* Show originality in the application of knowledge, together with a practical understanding of how established research techniques are used to create and interpret knowledge in the discipline.
* Communicate effectively using oral and written means.
* Work productively with others and also work independently.
* Use computers for word processing, data management and statistical analysis.
* Use the internet for learning, research and communication.
* Demonstrate competency in research design, planning, data collection, analysis, interpretation and report writing.
* Identify appropriate research questions, translate them into scientific hypotheses and design, plan, implement and disseminate a research study of scientific merit.
Year 1 Modules
PY0112 M.Sc Thesis (Full-time) (CORE, 60 Credits)
PY0714 Qualitative and Quantitative Methods (CORE, 20 Credits)
PY0715 Practical Research Techniques (CORE, 30 Credits)
PY0716 Practical Research Skills (CORE, 30 Credits)
PY0717 Professional Skills (CORE, 20 Credits)
PY0723 Advanced Psychological Testing (CORE, 10 Credits)
SO0540 Research Philosophies and Issues (PGR) (CORE, 10 Credits)
COURSEWORK AND ASSESSMENT
Assessments will be a mixture of examinations and coursework.