MSc: 12 months full-time; 24 months part-time, up to 60 months on modular basis
This programme will deliver a highly regarded professional education in real estate. It has been developed in close consultation with the relevant professional, policy and business communities and is intended to provide an intensive fast-track entry to a professional career for well-motivated, high-quality postgraduate students. The programme is professionally accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
The programme is divided into three equal parts, with the second part further subdivided.
Part 1: Understanding cities, markets, institutions and governance
* Changing cities and neighbourhoods
* Contemporary government and governance (real estate and planning)
* Development economics and real estate appraisal.
Part 2a: Becoming a reflective and effective practitioner
* Professional practice and ethics
* Strategic management and decision-making.
Part 2b: Making a practical difference
* Real estate markets
* Advanced real estate valuation and approval.
Plus 20 credits of optional courses taken from the following list:
* Strategic real estate management (10 credits)
* Real estate finance and investment (10 credits)
* International real estate markets (10 credits)
* Real estate development (10 credits)
* Housing market analysis (20 credits) OR Sustainable housing development (20 credits)
* Other approved courses offered by the Departments of Accounting & Finance, Management, Economics or Urban Studies.
Part 3: Research skills and experience
* Dissertation or major project in real estate or planning (with research methods).