BA (Hons) Creative & Professional Writing.
Course Type: Undergraduate.
Career Path: Writing.
Course Category: BA.
Would you like to earn a living as a writer? Digital technology offers you, the next generation of writers, boundless opportunities for innovation in how your stories are told and enjoyed.
Designed and delivered by industry leaders, our writing degree will help you turn your creative ideas into finished pitches and professional proposals ready for publication. Whether your passion is fiction, script or stories for games and digital media our personal, supportive approach will help you become the writer you want to be.
- At least two full Level 3 qualifications (e.g. A Level, BTEC Diploma), one of which must be in English Literature or Language.
- An Access to Higher Education course or a BTEC Extended Diploma will be considered as equivalent to two full Level 3 qualifications.
- GCSE grade C/4 or above in Maths and English or a Level 2 equivalent (e.g. Functional Skills).
- We also welcome applications from mature students (21+ years) and those without formal qualifications but with demonstrable passion for and practical experience in the subject.
The personal statement is an important part of your application and is your chance to tell us what your career aims are and why writing interests you. Your ability to communicate effectively is important, so the quality of your writing is a factor in how we make our decision. In particular, we will be looking for you to show a genuine interest in writing, demonstrated at least one of the following:
- Reading books, plays, screenplays, magazines, blogs or web sites
- Writing stories, scripts, poems, essays or lyrics
- Portfolio of writing examples
In addition to your application, you will be invited to submit some examples of your original writing (a maximum of 2000 words). On an assessment of your writing examples you will be invited to an interview and, may also be required to complete a practical writing skills test as part of your interview.
Course Duration: 3 years.
Campus Based: Yes.
Target Territories: UK, Ireland.
Intake: October 2019