Duration of course:
8 Weeks – 1 evening per week.
What does it include?
This is an 8-week course, of 1 evening per week, aimed at those with little or no previous experience in photography. This introductory course will enable you to understand your camera and its functions betterand help you to get more out of your photography. You will be taken through the main functions of yourcamera and the basics of exposure, leading on to considerations about lightning and composure. You will beusing your own camera which means you need either to own or have access to either a digital SLR oranother type of digital camera that allows the user to control of exposure (i.e. ideally a Manual mode).Teaching methods include a mixture of presentations and discussions, along with practical exercises.Subjects covered include:
Part 1 (4 weeks)
- A quick examination of participants cameras and their features
- An introduction to the concept of exposure and using the cameras exposure controls to create differenteffects in the final image. Using different lenses to obtain different results
- An introduction to white balance and different light sources
Part 2 (4 weeks)
- How to take your photography further by putting into practice things learnt on the first four weeks of the course
- Using flash and other light sources effectively
- Considerations on framing, image composition and different styles of photography
Where does it lead?
Successful completion of this course will gain a College certificate. This could be useful for progression ontoa full time or part-time course like BTEC National Diploma in Photography, HNC or Foundation Degree inProfessional Photography. The course can also be taken in conjunction with other City of Westminster College short courses, such as Digital Imaging for Photographers.