This programme is designed to meet the need for entry-level workers in television. News reporting plays a large part but the course is also pitched for people who wish to enter the television industry as news assistants, researchers and assistant producers. The programme is accredited by the Broadcast Journalism Training Council (BJTC).
The programme prepares you for a first job in television journalism, across a broad range of television factual programmes ranging from light topical daytime or 'how-to' shows, to issue-led discussion programmes, documentary films and serious news analysis. Skills are taught in small groups and include how to research a topic, write a brief, construct film treatments and compile studio running orders.
The programme includes a weekly placement in a TV company, and each student will experience working in at least two different companies over three terms. The placements provide an invaluable opportunity to gain experience, practise newly-acquired skills and make contacts.
Facilities include broadcast quality video cameras, a studio with CSO, autocue, graphics, 8 channel mixer, full lighting rig and set; and digital computerised editing taught in small groups.
* Journalism Practice: Print (core: Investigative, Magazine and Newspaper Journalism)
* Journalism Practice: TV and Broadcast (core: Broadcast and Television Current Affairs Journalism)
* Online Journalism (core: all pathways)
* Media Law (core: all pathways)
* Structure of Government (core: all pathways)
* Journalism and Society 1 (core: all pathways)
* Journalism and Society 2 (core: all pathways except Investigative Journalism)
* Specialisms (elective: Magazine and Newspaper Journalism)
* MA Project (elective: all pathways)
Broadcast/TV Current Affairs Journalism modules
* Editorial Production for TV (core: Television Current Affairs Journalism)
* Editorial Production for TV and Radio (core: Broadcast Journalism)
* Research for TV Current Affairs Programmes (core: Television Current Affairs Journalism)
* TV and Radio Technique (core: Broadcast Journalism)
* TV Studio Programme Making (elective: both pathways)
* Television Video Films (elective: both pathways)
Investigative Journalism modules
* Editorial Production for Investigations (core)
* Investigative Reporting 1 (core)
* Investigative Reporting 2 (core)
Magazine Journalism modules
* Editorial Production for Magazines (core)
* The Magazine Business (core)
Newspaper Journalism modules
* Editorial Production for Newspapers (core)