Speak without obligation to
Sheffield Hallam University
Your request has been sent correctly
Would you like to receive information about these related courses?
Just one more thing ...
Some institutions ask us for this data. Please, fill them in
Comments about MA-PgDip-PgCert Public Relations - At the institution - Sheffield - South Yorkshire
If you are a recent graduate with little or no PR experience, this course gives you the skills you need to become an effective professional.
MA/PgDip/PgCert Public Relations
The role of public relations in modern society has never been greater. As more media platforms are launched with fewer journalists, the opportunities for skilled PR professionals continue to grow.
If you work in PR already, you learn the
• latest techniques necessary to succeed in the fast changing world of communications
• analytical, management and organisational skills needed at the highest levels
You also learn practical skills such as • writing news releases • organising press conferences • creating PR campaigns • dealing with the media • responding to bad news.
You make case studies of important PR campaigns and work with clients to develop your professional skills in the real world. You understand how to work with journalists, to meet their needs and to maximise positive publicity and minimise negative coverage for your clients.
We give you the skills needed to get your message across different media types including print, broadcasting and the internet.
The course combines academic learning, vocational training and hands on practice. You learn to
• use practical, management and organisational PR skills
• understand key concepts, theories and debates in PR
• work effectively with the media industry
• understand the ethical dimensions of PR and apply ethical practice in your work
• work flexibly, confidently and to professional standards
• carry out research into the PR and media industries and how to think originally
The course is taught by experienced academics who have worked at high levels in PR, and in print and broadcast journalism.
This course equips you with the knowledge and skills to work as a public relations officer in
• public and private sector organisations • PR agencies • charities • the voluntary sector.
Postgraduate certificate – semester one
• PR in society • practical PR • introduction to writing for the media • language and writing • news making • persuasion in practice
Postgraduate diploma – semester two
• PR: organisations and management • PR: professional experience • researching the media • multicultural and intercultural communication • web development for media professionals • hypermedia design • production and editing techniques in radio and television • research and communication